From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:41:44
1 On Tuesday 20 July 2004 5:14 pm, Olivier Crete wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > The main problem with the profiles approach is that need to keep all of
5 > the "old" ebuilds for previous profiles in the tree, unnecessarily
6 > bloating the tree and then we have the risk that package maintainers
7 > will remove the stable packages after a while by mistake..
8
9 That is why repoman exists. In theory, repoman would block any commits
10 removing ebuilds from the tree which are needed by a profile in the same
11 way that it prevents ebuilds with broken dependencies or syntax from being
12 committed.
13
14 > My favorite solution is the portage snapshot + overlay solution. Where
15 > the gentoo-stable project makes a snapshot (like we already do on every
16 > livecd), it could even be the same snapshot. And then maintain (in a new
17 > tree) an overlay with only security fixes. This tree could then be
18 > rsynced with gensync (or with a modified portage).
19
20 If we were using something besides CVS (like arch) I might agree with that,
21 at least in part...
22
23 Cheers,
24 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]