From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Reinstating old-school GLEPs masterplan
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 18:17:03
1 On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > But in my experience, crappy and easy
4 > is a better way to get people to contribute. When I've taken wiki
5 > documents and moved them into git repos, more often than not I become
6 > the sole contributor, and otherwise-technical people just start emailing
7 > me their contributions (which decrease greatly in frequency).
10 I'd tend to agree if people could actually edit stuff on the Wiki.
11 The problem is that there is really no way to do the equivalent of a
12 pull request or other review process on a Wiki.
13
14 Either we open pages up, in which case we have to watch them for
15 changes we don't want. Or we don't open them up, in which case
16 suggesting patches is a royal pain.
17
18 I've wanted to propose more significant changes to the handbook and it
19 is hard to do because I can't just offer one big patch that people can
20 comment on. I could start making little changes here and there but
21 until they're all done it will be inconsistent, and it makes it harder
22 to influence the overall direction.
25 Rich