From: Craig Peterein <craig@××××××××.org>
To: Jonathan Hunt <jhuntnz@×××××××××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CVS access
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 07:56:29
1 On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 09:39:20PM +1200, Jonathan Hunt wrote:
2 > On Sat, 05 Oct 2002 01:50, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Yes, anonymous CVS is not available for us (non-members of the dev team).
5 > > Patches need to be sent through bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org)
6 >
7 > I'm new to gentoo. But I was wanting to add some more packages that aren't
8 > already in portage. I thought the first thing I should do was get an anoncvs
9 > version of the portage tree so that my changes wouldn't be overwritten with
10 > rsync. I was following instructions found here:
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/portage-manual.html. Does this mean I can't do
12 > that? Is the manual outdated in its instructions because it doesn't mention
13 > requiring to be a dev member to get anonymous CVS access. Please clarify,
14 > Jonathan
15
16 Yeah, that url is out of date. I gather the reason that anoncvs has been
17 disabled is that it causes a major slowdown on the server. The real solution
18 there is to set up a few anoncvs mirrors for the rest of us. I don't know of
19 any plans to do so.
20
21 A temporary solution for you is to set up PORDIR_OVERLAY in your make.conf.
22 There are a few catches here too, since the only way to unmask a masked build
23 is to edit /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask, which gets overwritten by emerge
24 sync. Search google for PORTDIR_OVERLAY for more info.
25
26 Craig