From: Daniel Goller <morfic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making the developer community more open
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:25:20
1 > Now that I'm an AMD64 laptop Gentoo user I would like a concise way of
2 > communicating back to my community the AMD64 users and specifically the laptop
3 > users. In fact I'd like to know what other people are using the Compaq Presario
4 > V2000Z AMD Turion64. I'd also like to know what software they're running on
5 > their laptops and if they consider it stable. What kernel configurations they're
6 > using. What functionality is broken and what needs to be fixed.
7
8 I enjoy using a V2000Z ( V2311US ) as my development machine, it runs
9 kde 3.5 well (even so, i am back on my beloved icewm), kmail with it's
10 customizable panes had been most enjoyable for email on a 14" widescreen
11 thus far, but the new masked evolution with USE=widescreen seems to be
12 replacing it rather quickly.
13 I prefer modular Xorg (7.0) with EXA acceleration in 2D by far over the
14 binary drivers with either 6.8.2 or xorg 7. (3D will have to wait until
15 someone gets dri working on shared memory laptops)
16 I patch my kernel so i can "undervolt" it, i had been compiling at 90C
17 at 1600mhz and a -e world (Gotta test gcc-4.1 some day) for days seemed
18 out of question, now i compile at ~60C at 1600mhz, which i guess makes
19 me a "preservist". (i mean preserving hardware, not battery capacity, as
20 the savings at 800MHz are less impressive thus battery life while
21 working in a text editor/web/irc/email is not affected by it much) (if
22 you love to compile while being unplugged the difference should be quite
23 nice :)
24 For wireless i still prefer ndiswrapper over bcm43xx.
25 I did keep windows around although the one thing i do most often from
26 there is flash my bios, so it does not see too much use.
27 I still can't use the memory card reader.
28 But there is so much that works reliably on here i do not miss that thus
29 far.
30 I do not have suspend to disk set up right now, swsusp worked fine,
31 suspend2 i always had a harder time getting working, what i typically
32 use is suspend to ram which now works flawless.
33
34 If you have any particular questions, let me know, this is what came to
35 mind on a more general basis.
36
37 Daniel