From: Brandon Edens <brandon@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making the developer community more open
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:17:20
1 On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 11:07:37PM +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > I'm looking for ideas - preferably big, drastic, shiny ones. Ignore any
3 > issues relating to migration away from our current system. What would be
4 > the _ideal_ way for Gentoo to handle contributions from anyone? (note
5 > that I'm dropping the user/developer community separation in that
6 > question, as the boundary between those could change in these ideas)
7 > How would an ideal recruitment process work, if there would be one at all?
10 When I was a system administrator working with Gentoo I would've appreciated a
11 way to interact with the other Gentoo system administrators. (ie gentoo-server).
12 I would've liked it even more if I could've communicated with the Gentoo
13 University Department System Administrators. When I say communicated I mean
14 interacted with.
15
16 Now that I'm an AMD64 laptop Gentoo user I would like a concise way of
17 communicating back to my community the AMD64 users and specifically the laptop
18 users. In fact I'd like to know what other people are using the Compaq Presario
19 V2000Z AMD Turion64. I'd also like to know what software they're running on
20 their laptops and if they consider it stable. What kernel configurations they're
21 using. What functionality is broken and what needs to be fixed.
22
23 I'd like an easy way to communicate with them, pass them notes about problems
24 with packages. If I trust them a-lot then I'd like to use their binary built
25 packages as well as allow them to use the ones built by me. I guess we'd create
26 a sort of p2p mini-pocket of gentoo users with our relationship built upon
27 trust.
28
29 I imagined Gentoo on Win32, something like Cygwin. I maintained a computer lab
30 filled with Windows machines. I'd like to install Gentoo Win32 on one machine.
31 Install it on the next machine then tell that machine about the first. I'd like
32 to install it on a third machine then tell it about the first or the second but
33 have that third machine then know about both. I'd like to compile a piece of
34 software on one of the machines then know that any of the other two will
35 automatically get the binary version of the package from the one that compiled
36 it because they trust that machine. The damage to unnamed others from the
37 existence of a system like this would be quite excessive IMO.
38
39 So I've structured this email as a want-list. However, I'm not oblivious to how
40 this is implemented. I suppose the idea is to restructure Gentoo into a tiered
41 community (as mentioned by other posters). Make it easy for tiers to birth and
42 die (we might like a rhode island gentoo users group for instance, might not
43 last for more than a year.) Maybe one tier is just me and my friends sharing our
44 hacks, customizations, letting each other know about some exciting package,
45 etc... I need my portage/emerge to act as a meta system that pulls from the
46 various communities based upon how much I trust those communities.
47
48 How do we get there from here? I suppose just start adding functionality to
49 portage to support this. One part could be just expanding upon the portage
50 overlay. It might be nice if portage became better defined so that we could
51 implement it in a variety of programming languages (I'm into LISP programming
52 for fun).
53 Portage as a daemon?
54
55 Another concrete feature would be to allow by convention a specific directory
56 that could be created and used for applying patches during the build process
57 (without modifying ebuilds). A place where portage will automatically apply that
58 patch during the build of some piece of software. So lets say this feature of
59 portage existed, perhaps I could further put the patch in various community
60 portage overlays and others in that community could learn about that patch. I
61 suppose its those sorts of massive optimizations/conventions/intelligence that I
62 always appreciated about Gentoo and its packaging system.
63
64 I appreciate that Gentoo is more hacker friendly and less Debian ivory tower. I
65 think some of that is source-built distro versus a binary distro.
66
67 Some of this is the gentoo-stats project that died. It'd be nice to know about
68 the other people in my version of the Gentoo community. If I'd had statistics
69 that MIT was using Gentoo on 5000 machines with each having an average up-time
70 of 100 days (information gleamed from portage's community functions); then I
71 could've marketed Gentoo better to my bosses.
72
73 I'm rambling.
74 Enjoy,
75 Brandon Edens