From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: KDE/semantic-desktop, was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gnome Stabilization 3.6 or 3.8
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 07:05:56
1 Am Donnerstag, 8. August 2013, 08:21:47 schrieb Duncan:
2 > ...
3 >
4 > [Those uninterested in gentoo/kde can stop reading here, as the rest of
5 > the post is a complaint about that project not taking the same position.]
6 >
7 > Gentoo/kde users would be so lucky!
8 >
9 > As a gentoo/kde-er, I *WISH* the gentoo/kde team was as similarly willing
10 > to continue support for the options kde upstream *ARE* still providing --
11 > kde4 with the semantic-desktop options turned off.
12
13 Let me quote a user comment from my blog [who was in the beginning very much
14 concerned about this decision as well]:
15
16 "I decided it might be wise to rebuild +semantic-desktop globally, to see for
17 myself what would actually happen. After 8 hours of compiling (Atom N270) the
18 answer is about 10 additional megs of ram at idle and about 2 extra seconds to
19 boot. There is no performance penalty to load gwenview or dolphin. kdelibs
20 took an additional 10 minutes to compile (2h 15 vs 2h 5); the flag system wide
21 should not increase my compile times by more than a percentage point or two.
22 Given that the hit is extremely minimal: I do apologise for getting
23 prematurely butthurt, and I welcome our new semantic overlords."
24
25 It's simply a matter of priorities. If the resulting damage is that minimal,
26 it is not worth the effort.
27
28 (I mean, it's not as if you'd have to switch to a totally different init
29 system or such. :)
32 Andreas K. Huettel
33 Gentoo Linux developer (council, kde)
34 dilfridge@g.o
35 http://www.akhuettel.de/