From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Pre-GLEP: Security Project
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 07:13:57
1 On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 19:55:44 -0400
2 Yury German <blueknight@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > On Mar 12, 2017, at 4:14 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
5 > > wrote:
8 > > Also, it'd be nice to have something more formal for sec. cleanup:
9 > > "After 30 days a sec. issue has been fixed, sec. team is free to
10 > > cleanup old vulnerable versions.". I've seen too much pings by sec.
11 > > team members on old bugs for this and they could have spent the same
12 > > amount of time simply doing it instead.
15 > Alexis, here is a problem that I have noticed over the years.
16 > Everyone is short on time, but if the developers do not step in (and
17 > only some) and clean up the packages then we might as well make this
18 > another job for Security team as everyone will just leave it to
19 > security.
20 >
21 > Security looks at every security bug, and needs to do a lot of things
22 > behind the scenes. GLSA writing, look for CVE’s if not there, assign
23 > them to bugs in the CVE system used for GLSA’s. If no CVE’s exist
24 > communicate with upstream to see if it was requested, if not
25 > requested request it on their behalf and work with MITRE in getting
26 > it assigned. When you multiply that time over the 100+ security bugs
27 > at any time. Cleanup is not a 5 second thing as for me typing three
28 > characters to have that bug be submitted with that comment.
29 >
30 > The maintainer also knows the package, dependencies, other bugs
31 > filed, etc. Removing things for your packages might be simple, but it
32 > is not the same across all packages and that is the reason we ask the
33 > Maintainers to take an active step in cleaning up.
36 Agreed, but I was under the impression that sometimes sec. team was
37 waiting for cleanup to close a bug. If you've just done the analysis
38 that it is the only thing left, just do it and close the bug, instead
39 of pinging on the bug and re-do that analysis in a later pass. This
40 reduces context switches and makes everything more efficient :)