From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Gentoo vs GNU toolchain (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags)
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 11:53:39
1 On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 11:27:57AM +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 08:20 +0200, Harald van Dijk wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 07:50:27PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > On Friday 07 July 2006 19:04, Harald van Dijk wrote:
5 >
6 > > > the ssp/pie/htb patches have their own USE flags so separating them from
7 > > > USE=vanilla makes perfect sense ...
8 > >
9 > > I'm not disagreeing with that, but removing an older option is not just
10 > > providing more choices.
11 > >
12 > > > now you can do:
13 > > > gentoo patches + ssp
14 > > > gentoo patches + nossp
15 > > > vanilla + ssp
16 > > > vanilla + nossp
17 > >
18 > > gentoo patches + ssp
19 > > gentoo patches + stub
20 > > vanilla + ssp
21 > > vanilla + stub
22 > >
23 > > > whereas before you only had the option of:
24 > > > gentoo patches + ssp
25 > > > vanilla + nossp
26 > >
27 > > gentoo patches + ssp
28 > > gentoo patches + stub
29 > > vanilla
30 > >
31 > > > like i said in my previous e-mail, forcing stubs onto people even when
32 > > > USE=vanilla *is by design* because i got tired of people who had no clue
33 > > > about the consequences throwing USE=vanilla into their USE in make.conf and
34 > > > then complaining when the lack of SSP broke things ...
35 > >
36 > > But I'm not asking for USE="vanilla" to disable SSP completely, I'm only
37 > > asking for USE="vanilla nossp" to disable it. "nossp" is already
38 > > explicitly documented as "NOT FOR GENERAL USE", too.
41 > No offence, but you are being very unreasonable in this thread. The
42 > fact that you can get what you are after, even though its not entirely
43 > supported, should be enough for you, especially for the fact that you
44 > are not clueless.
45 >
46 > You should remember that somebody at the end of the day have to
47 > sacrifice time and effort to fix bugs, and especially with something as
48 > complex as gcc, the more variables, the more effort it is going to be.
49 > And as Mike is relatively the only person currently who seems to
50 > maintain gcc, it should be his prerogative to decided that he get too
51 > much spam without the stubs.
52
53 Sorry, but how much mail he gets does not affect one bit which behaviour
54 is better, it only helps understand why the lesser behaviour could be
55 chosen by reasonable people anyway. (Regardless of which behaviour is
56 the lesser one.) And I don't harass anyone about -- it's been a very
57 long time since I even mentioned any problems like this, and if nothing
58 is done after this thread dies, I'll likely be quiet about it for a long
59 time again -- so please don't act like I do.
60
61 > And you should really know by now that being documented as "NOT FOR
62 > GENERAL USE" will still not stop more than enough users to waste his
63 > time in telling them not to disable SSP with vanilla if they don't know
64 > what they are doing.
65
66 I guess that's a fair point.
67
68 > > Gentoo's gcc with the vanilla flag isn't the official GCC. Most patches
69 > > don't get appplied, but some do. Plus, gcc[vanilla] isn't a supported
70 > > compiler in Gentoo.
71 >
72 > For the fact that we do not support vanilla gcc - I assume this is a gcc
73 > built by yourself -
74
75 Actually, I meant gcc built with the vanilla flag here, as opposed to
76 pure official GCC, which I already stated is unsupported earlier.
77
78 > this truly is really unfair of you to expect it.
79 > The 'contract' we usually have with upstream, is that if we apply
80 > patches to their software, we will be the first tier in the support
81 > chain. Now you want to run gcc which was not modified by us to fix the
82 > known hangups in how we do things - or save us time for that matter, and
83 > you still want us to support it - or at least make life easier for us by
84 > not leaving gaping holes that cost us maintenance time?
85
86 Differences between official GCC and Gentoo's GCC are 1) fixed bugs, and
87 2) added features. (Assuming no patches are broken.) I think it's
88 reasonable to not rely on the existence of those added features. You
89 seem to think I think it's reasonable to not rely on bugs being
90 fixed. No problem there, I don't.
91
92 Besides, I said it's unfortunate that vanilla GCC (either one) is
93 unsupported, not that it must be. My other problem, that vanilla
94 GCC is different from Gentoo's GCC with the vanilla flag (plus maybe
95 nossp/nopie/...), can be handled without requiring support for it from
96 anyone.
97
98 > Am I the only one feeling that this is really selfish/absurd thinking
99 > since you have such an hackle in what we do, to not research, debug, and
100 > file thus your own bugs with http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/ ?
101
102 I actually do file bugs there when I run into them.
103
104 > The alternative to this that you seem to ignore, is that you can start
105 > helping maintaining gcc (I am sure Mike will appreciate help with
106 > Halcy0n gone as well, and me not having that much time currently).
107
108 Since I'm more interested in vanilla GCC, I think there's little to help
109 maintain from Gentoo's side (support in ebuilds, and possibly the build
110 process, that's it). If that's something you think help would be good
111 for anyway, though, sure, if I can.
112
113 > And
114 > of course promising so long as the stubs do not get applied with nossp,
115 > that you will handle all breakage in that area.
116
117 I have no problems modifying ebuilds / packages to autodetect flags
118 instead of assuming they exist myself, if it means vanilla GCC will be
119 supported feature-wise, for those versions of which the corresponding
120 Gentoo-patched version is supported.
121
122 > Although I do not know
123 > if its still really fair to expect Jakub et ell to sacrifice time to
124 > process the bugs, and get them to you if its related to something
125 > failing due to the missing stubs.
126
127 I /could/ read toolchain@ mail if I would help out with GCC, you know,
128 which is where such bugs should end up going to currently (those not
129 closed as dupes) if the package maintainer thinks it's a bug that some
130 GCC version doesn't support a particular flag. :) Or am I
131 misunderstanding?
132 --
133 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list