From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Gentoo vs GNU toolchain (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags)
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 13:50:45
1 On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 13:51 +0200, Harald van Dijk wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 11:27:57AM +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 08:20 +0200, Harald van Dijk wrote:
4 > > > On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 07:50:27PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > > > > On Friday 07 July 2006 19:04, Harald van Dijk wrote:
6
7 > > > > like i said in my previous e-mail, forcing stubs onto people even when
8 > > > > USE=vanilla *is by design* because i got tired of people who had no clue
9 > > > > about the consequences throwing USE=vanilla into their USE in make.conf and
10 > > > > then complaining when the lack of SSP broke things ...
11 > > >
12 > > > But I'm not asking for USE="vanilla" to disable SSP completely, I'm only
13 > > > asking for USE="vanilla nossp" to disable it. "nossp" is already
14 > > > explicitly documented as "NOT FOR GENERAL USE", too.
15 > > >
16 > >
17 > > No offence, but you are being very unreasonable in this thread. The
18 > > fact that you can get what you are after, even though its not entirely
19 > > supported, should be enough for you, especially for the fact that you
20 > > are not clueless.
21 > >
22 > > You should remember that somebody at the end of the day have to
23 > > sacrifice time and effort to fix bugs, and especially with something as
24 > > complex as gcc, the more variables, the more effort it is going to be.
25 > > And as Mike is relatively the only person currently who seems to
26 > > maintain gcc, it should be his prerogative to decided that he get too
27 > > much spam without the stubs.
28 >
29 > Sorry, but how much mail he gets does not affect one bit which behaviour
30 > is better, it only helps understand why the lesser behaviour could be
31 > chosen by reasonable people anyway. (Regardless of which behaviour is
32 > the lesser one.) And I don't harass anyone about -- it's been a very
33 > long time since I even mentioned any problems like this, and if nothing
34 > is done after this thread dies, I'll likely be quiet about it for a long
35 > time again -- so please don't act like I do.
38 Actually it does if it cuts back his time by a very large percentage so
39 that he cannot do the other things he wants/needs to. I assume this was
40 the case if he added that in the first place, and still refuse to change
41 it.
42
43 > > > Gentoo's gcc with the vanilla flag isn't the official GCC. Most patches
44 > > > don't get appplied, but some do. Plus, gcc[vanilla] isn't a supported
45 > > > compiler in Gentoo.
46 > >
47 > > For the fact that we do not support vanilla gcc - I assume this is a gcc
48 > > built by yourself -
49 >
50 > Actually, I meant gcc built with the vanilla flag here, as opposed to
51 > pure official GCC, which I already stated is unsupported earlier.
54 Hmm, thought I might have had it a tad wrong. I still though do not
55 understand what the whole fuss is about stubs for some 5 flags. (which
56 is what you are left with with USE="vanilla nossp" currently if my
57 memory is correct). Maybe read down a bit before replying here.
58
59 > > this truly is really unfair of you to expect it.
60 > > The 'contract' we usually have with upstream, is that if we apply
61 > > patches to their software, we will be the first tier in the support
62 > > chain. Now you want to run gcc which was not modified by us to fix the
63 > > known hangups in how we do things - or save us time for that matter, and
64 > > you still want us to support it - or at least make life easier for us by
65 > > not leaving gaping holes that cost us maintenance time?
66 >
67 > Differences between official GCC and Gentoo's GCC are 1) fixed bugs, and
68 > 2) added features. (Assuming no patches are broken.) I think it's
69 > reasonable to not rely on the existence of those added features.
70
71 I think its reasonable to no force the feature on you, but add the stubs
72 if it became a maintenance headache. I am pretty sure it was not
73 toolchain who brought the whole situation about in the first place.
74
75 You can however fix the tree to make sure it will fully build without
76 those flags, and then talk to Mike again about removing them. I am sure
77 he might be more willing if it will not steal his time again.
78
79 > You
80 > seem to think I think it's reasonable to not rely on bugs being
81 > fixed. No problem there, I don't.
84 Not at all. I thought you think its reasonable to just keep loading
85 work on other people - or possible did not see that that would have been
86 the end result. More about this to the end.
87
88 > Besides, I said it's unfortunate that vanilla GCC (either one) is
89 > unsupported, not that it must be. My other problem, that vanilla
90 > GCC is different from Gentoo's GCC with the vanilla flag (plus maybe
91 > nossp/nopie/...), can be handled without requiring support for it from
92 > anyone.
95 From the length of this email, and you not wanting to see the reasoning,
96 or not having started to fix the tree so that your wish can be full
97 filled, It rather sounded like you did demand it. Or this was at least
98 the impression I got.
99
100 Also once again I do not see what the big issue with the stubs is. You
101 keep making a big issue out of it without giving concrete examples or
102 serious issues it is causing. The problem was there before they were
103 added, and not due to them - its even possible that with test_flag() its
104 less of an issue now. Still read down a bit before replying here.
105
106 > > The alternative to this that you seem to ignore, is that you can start
107 > > helping maintaining gcc (I am sure Mike will appreciate help with
108 > > Halcy0n gone as well, and me not having that much time currently).
109 >
110 > Since I'm more interested in vanilla GCC, I think there's little to help
111 > maintain from Gentoo's side (support in ebuilds, and possibly the build
112 > process, that's it). If that's something you think help would be good
113 > for anyway, though, sure, if I can.
116 Vanilla, Gentoo patched - they all have bugs which bugzilla have more
117 than enough of in. And in the perfect world Gentoo patched gcc will
118 have less bugs than the Vanilla one.
119
120 > > And
121 > > of course promising so long as the stubs do not get applied with nossp,
122 > > that you will handle all breakage in that area.
123 >
124 > I have no problems modifying ebuilds / packages to autodetect flags
125 > instead of assuming they exist myself, if it means vanilla GCC will be
126 > supported feature-wise, for those versions of which the corresponding
127 > Gentoo-patched version is supported.
130 OK, maybe I was just too dense to see it before, or maybe you kept
131 dancing around the issue. To put it clear (or try at least), your whole
132 issue currently is that you cannot use a 'Vanilla' gcc (ie without the
133 stubs) to build everything in the tree ? And not as much the stubs them
134 selfs ?
135
136 If this is the case, then I think you have been barking up the wrong
137 tree this whole time. It was not toolchain who assumed flags are
138 present in some gcc to whatever packages - we just maintain the
139 toolchain. And I am sure not all the blame will fall on hardened
140 either, as many package maintainers for packages that would not work
141 with SSP might have fixed it by just disabling it via CFLAGS.
142
143 So really, hitting the specific maintainers or upstream with a clue
144 stick would have been the logical solution that did not bog down
145 toolchain even more.
146
147 > > Although I do not know
148 > > if its still really fair to expect Jakub et ell to sacrifice time to
149 > > process the bugs, and get them to you if its related to something
150 > > failing due to the missing stubs.
151 >
152 > I /could/ read toolchain@ mail if I would help out with GCC, you know,
153 > which is where such bugs should end up going to currently (those not
154 > closed as dupes) if the package maintainer thinks it's a bug that some
155 > GCC version doesn't support a particular flag. :) Or am I
156 > misunderstanding?
157
158 I think you understood wrongly.
159
160 If the stubs were to be just removed say tomorrow, and breakage in the
161 tree is still of such an extend that bugs starts to flood in again, its
162 not just you that will have to read the mail. If the user is clueless,
163 then Jakub have to reassign the bug to either toolchain or the package
164 maintainer. If he could not determine it was due to the missing CFLAG,
165 and it ended up with the package maintainer, then they would have had to
166 reassign it to toolchain. Either case, if it was a very bad report,
167 they would first have to spend time and effort in getting the correct
168 information. And besides all that, for each reassignment or comment to
169 the bug, it would have been extra mail that a few or possible a lot of
170 people had to have spend time on to read (except if they >/dev/null it,
171 but then they could miss possible need to check them selfs on it again).
172
173 So I really just wanted to make you think about how things could (and
174 probably did) cascade before the stubs was added.
179 Martin Schlemmer