From: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] pet feature: mtime preservation (was [gentoo-dev-announce] Council Summary from meeting on April 09, 2009)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 00:16:35
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Thomas Anderson wrote:
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > Here is the summary from Thursday's council meeting. The full log along
8 > with the summary will appear shortly at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council.
9 >
10 > Regards,
11 > Thomas
12
13 and from #gentoo-council:
14 [do apr 9 2009] [22:41:47] <dberkholz> those of you with a pet feature, feel
15 free to respond to the summary on -dev if you have some compelling reason why
16 it's super easy to get in and can't be pushed back. keep in mind there's no
17 reason we need to take forever for EAPI 4, either
20 pet feature: mtime preservation
21
22 supereasy: yes, this is already the current behavior of both portage and pkgcore
23 so nothing needs to be implemented here.
24
25 can't be pushed back: the mtime of to-be-installed files is currently
26 unspecified. Since the behavior of portage isn't changing nothing will break due
27 to this non-change, but it will make hacks that work around the package manager
28 (officially) obsolete and make it simpler to keep track of compiled code for
29 dynamic languages.
30
31 There is an extended proposal for changing only those mtimes that are too old or
32 too new (in the future). If that is indeed desirable this could be changed in
33 EAPI4, but it seems easy if not better/cleaner if mtime mangling is done on a
34 per-ebuild basis for those few that need it.
35
36 If the package manager preserves mtimes they can still easily be changed in
37 individual ebuilds.
38 However if the package manager does not preserve mtimes and they need to be
39 recovered, then the mtimes need to be saved at a point where mtimes have not yet
40 been mangled and then restored after the package manager is done with mtime
41 mangling. This is possible but the exact time of mangling would then need to be
42 specified. This is clearly a hack.
43
44 I know I personally asked for mtime preservation on 7-5-2008 on this list[1] and
45 the issue has surely existed even longer. Let's get rid of this problem already.
46
47 Thanks,
48
49 Marijn
50
51 [1]:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/55953
52
53 - --
54 If you cannot read my mind, then listen to what I say.
55
56 Marijn Schouten (hkBst), Gentoo Lisp project, Gentoo ML
57 <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-{lisp,ml} on FreeNode