From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: license group file format
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:20:36
1 On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 21:43:56 +0200
2 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:50:01 -0500
5 > Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Marius Mauch wrote: [Thu Oct 26 2006, 12:02:59PM CDT]
8 > > > Ok, as there is currently a lot of work going on for GLEP 23
9 > > > (licese based visibility filtering aka ACCEPT_LICENSE) the topic
10 > > > of license groups came up, in particular the way how they should
11 > > > be (technically) defined.
12 > > >
13 > > > The simplest way is a line based format
14 > > > <groupname> <license1> ... <licenseN>
15 > >
16 > > At the risk of reopening a large can of worms, can somebody explain
17 > > to me why the license groups idea won't run into the same conceptual
18 > > issues that derailed GLEP 29 (USE groups)? Am I missing something
19 > > obvious?
20 >
21 > Maybe my memory is wrong, but wasn't the problem only that people
22 > couldn't agree on one set of semantics for negations and being afraid
23 > of confusing users? In that case I don't see a big problem as long as
24 > the semantics are clearly defined, as most users will probably stick
25 > with just one predefined group (if they use this feature at all)
26 > adjusted by a few handpicked licenses.
27
28 Little discussion in #gentoo-portage resulted in the conclusion that
29 license groups may only contain positive elements, and negating a
30 license group will negate all elements contained in it. This avoids the
31 nasty problem of double negation that was IIRC one of the killers for
32 GLEP 29.
33
34 Marius
39 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
40 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
41 --
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list