From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: license group file format
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:40:55
1 On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:50:01 -0500
2 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Marius Mauch wrote: [Thu Oct 26 2006, 12:02:59PM CDT]
5 > > Ok, as there is currently a lot of work going on for GLEP 23
6 > > (licese based visibility filtering aka ACCEPT_LICENSE) the topic of
7 > > license groups came up, in particular the way how they should be
8 > > (technically) defined.
9 > >
10 > > The simplest way is a line based format
11 > > <groupname> <license1> ... <licenseN>
12 >
13 > At the risk of reopening a large can of worms, can somebody explain to
14 > me why the license groups idea won't run into the same conceptual
15 > issues that derailed GLEP 29 (USE groups)? Am I missing something
16 > obvious?
17
18 Maybe my memory is wrong, but wasn't the problem only that people
19 couldn't agree on one set of semantics for negations and being afraid of
20 confusing users? In that case I don't see a big problem as long as the
21 semantics are clearly defined, as most users will probably stick with
22 just one predefined group (if they use this feature at all) adjusted by
23 a few handpicked licenses.
24
25 Marius
30 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
31 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list