From: Christian Hartmann <ian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 05:23:15
1 Am Dienstag 13 Juni 2006 19:30 schrieb Stephen Bennett:
2 > Christian Hartmann wrote:
3 > > Oh lovely. - If noone has any strong reasonable objections, I'd like to
4 > > add a $ians-playground profile to the tree. Furthermore I will start to
5 > > keywording ebuilds with the new ~fridge keyword I just invented.
6 >
7 > I'll take that to mean "no objection based in a technical argument"
8 > then. Thanks.
9
10 You're welcome. - Obviously you didn't get the point. So please let me clarify
11 my statement:
12
13 If paludis ever will be marked stable will developers have to test their
14 packages to work with the latest stable paludis and the lastest stable
15 portage? Users will expect ebuilds to work with paludis. You are saying that
16 paludis does not require any changes made to any ebuilds in the
17 gentoo-portage-tree. What if a stable paludis fails on a stable ebuild?
18
19 If I would add $ians-toolset to sys-apps and $ians-playgroud to profiles users
20 will expect this stuff to be supported by gentoo.
21
22 In the end we (gentoo) will have to support the "other package manager" aka
23 paludis because "if it's in the tree users will expect it to work and being
24 supported". That's not what I'm going to do.
27 Christian Hartmann
28 http://www.gentoo.org/~ian/
29
30 PGP Key:
31 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2154E5EE692A4865
32 Key fingerprint = 4544 EC0C BAE4 216F 5981 7F95 2154 E5EE 692A 4865
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list