From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-info.eclass and $CONFIG_CHECK
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:57:28
1 On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 17:47 +0100, John Mylchreest wrote:
2 > anyways). After much deliberation I feel the actual best way to deal
3 > with this, is to have an override envvar which will bypass a die, and
4 > simply warn instead. This will mean that those people who cross-compile
5 > regularly, or building stages etc will work fine, and normal operation
6 > would continue to refuse a build if the environment its building for
7 > doesn't seem sane. At the end of the day, the true root cause of
8
9 This will not work. Anything environment-wise used to build the stages
10 makes its way *into* the stages. The stages are just builds within a
11 chroot. If I disable it for stage building, then it'll be disabled for
12 anyone that uses those stages by default.
13
14 The best solution is still a separate check that only throws a warning
15 state, as having a die on the check *is* valid for packages that require
16 a kernel to compile. Also, there's no way in stage building to use a
17 particular environment for only one package, so it would have to be
18 enabled globally. Not something good for packages that really *do*
19 require kernel sources to be present and configured.
22 Chris Gianelloni
23 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
24 Games - Developer
25 Gentoo Linux