From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-info.eclass and $CONFIG_CHECK
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:54:23
1 On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 12:03 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > The current /usr/src/linux method works quite well for releases. The
3 > only issue we're having is a non-fatal check being fatal, which is going
4 > to be fixed.
5
6 OK, so being the huy who wrote and looks after all this stuff, here is
7 my 2c and reasoning.
8
9 First of all, falling back on `uname -r` isn't going to happen for
10 several reasons. I can understand for some why this might seem sensible
11 (what happens if you remove your kernel sources for example). But the
12 fact remains that testing the currently running kernel is not a viable
13 option in my mind. Why? well, 1: the running kernel bares absolutely no
14 relevance on the environment which you're building this for. 2: you can
15 pass KERNEL_DIR manually, so if you refuse to work in the expected way
16 then set KERNEL_DIR to point to the right location.
17
18 Secondly, I have thought about this some more during the day, just as I
19 did at initial implementation (The code could do with a tidy-up
20 anyways). After much deliberation I feel the actual best way to deal
21 with this, is to have an override envvar which will bypass a die, and
22 simply warn instead. This will mean that those people who cross-compile
23 regularly, or building stages etc will work fine, and normal operation
24 would continue to refuse a build if the environment its building for
25 doesn't seem sane. At the end of the day, the true root cause of
26 something die'ing when it shouldn't is at the ebuild. That.. and if its
27 really not that important, then surely the ebuild can call the config
28 check itself, and handle it as it feels fit.
29
30 I'll update the bug also with this.
33 Role: Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
34 Gentoo Linux: http://www.gentoo.org
35 Public Key: gpg --recv-keys 9C745515
36 Key fingerprint: A0AF F3C8 D699 A05A EC5C 24F7 95AA 241D 9C74 5515