From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-info.eclass and $CONFIG_CHECK
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:09:09
1 On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 17:05 +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > > > The only real argument is that it makes it difficult for people who cross
3 > > > compile packages for use on other systems only, in which case it might make
4 > > > sense for the possibility to override the behaviour.
5 > >
6 > > Cross-compiling, embedded systems, and release-building all suffer from
7 > > this.
10 > I cannot remember .. does release-building (iow catalyst) set ROOT ? If
11 > so, maybe just make it error if root is not set, as most if not all
12 > cross compiling of such things (not talking toolchain) is done with ROOT
13 > set as far I know.
14
15 Only stage1 tarballs. Everything else is built in a chroot. Even
16 stage1 is funny since it is built in a chroot *and* uses ROOT (within
17 the chroot).
18
19 Nothing should be using uname for determining what to build against, as
20 it is quite common to build releases on machines with drastically
21 different kernels (and even arches).
22
23 The current /usr/src/linux method works quite well for releases. The
24 only issue we're having is a non-fatal check being fatal, which is going
25 to be fixed.
28 Chris Gianelloni
29 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
30 Games - Developer