From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] New policy: 'files' directory must not be larger than 32 KiB
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 18:41:07
1 On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Hello, everyone.
4 >>
5 >> It's my pleasure to announce that with a majority vote the QA team has
6 >> accepted a new policy. The accepted wording is:
7 >>
8 >> Total size of 'files' subdirectory of a package should not be larger
9 >> than 32 KiB. If the package needs more auxiliary files, they should
10 >> be put into SRC_URI e.g. via tarballs.
11 >>
12 >> (the total size being computed as a sum of apparent file sizes)
13 >>
14 >> The relevant policy vote is finishing at bug #633758 [1]. The CI reports
15 >> [2] were updated to report packages whose 'files' directories exceed
16 >> 64 KiB, to avoid adding many new warnings at once. The limit will
17 >> be lowered down to 32 KiB as packages are fixed to comply with the new
18 >> policy.
19 >>
20 >> At the same time, I would like to explicitly remind developers that
21 >> the spirit of the policy is 'do not let "files" grow large', not 'make
22 >> sure you're one byte less than 32769.' Do not argue that your package
23 >> exceeds the limit only by few bytes -- even if it gets close to the
24 >> limit, then it means it's way too large.
25 >
26 > I just want to voice my opinion on this: as a developer, this policy
27 > is a royal pain in the ass.
28 >
29 > I would ask the council to please increase this limit to at least 100
30 > KiB, preferably more.
31
32 Please substitute "QA team" for "council" in the above message. Thanks.