From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] New policy: 'files' directory must not be larger than 32 KiB
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 19:36:01
1 Am Sun, 17 Dec 2017 13:40:35 -0500
2 schrieb Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>:
3
4 > On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
7 > > wrote:
8 > >> Hello, everyone.
9 > >>
10 > >> It's my pleasure to announce that with a majority vote the QA team
11 > >> has accepted a new policy. The accepted wording is:
12 > >>
13 > >> Total size of 'files' subdirectory of a package should not be
14 > >> larger than 32 KiB. If the package needs more auxiliary files,
15 > >> they should be put into SRC_URI e.g. via tarballs.
16 > >>
17 > >> (the total size being computed as a sum of apparent file sizes)
18 > >>
19 > >> The relevant policy vote is finishing at bug #633758 [1]. The CI
20 > >> reports [2] were updated to report packages whose 'files'
21 > >> directories exceed 64 KiB, to avoid adding many new warnings at
22 > >> once. The limit will be lowered down to 32 KiB as packages are
23 > >> fixed to comply with the new policy.
24 > >>
25 > >> At the same time, I would like to explicitly remind developers that
26 > >> the spirit of the policy is 'do not let "files" grow large', not
27 > >> 'make sure you're one byte less than 32769.' Do not argue that
28 > >> your package exceeds the limit only by few bytes -- even if it
29 > >> gets close to the limit, then it means it's way too large.
30 > >
31 > > I just want to voice my opinion on this: as a developer, this policy
32 > > is a royal pain in the ass.
33 > >
34 > > I would ask the council to please increase this limit to at least
35 > > 100 KiB, preferably more.
36 >
37 > Please substitute "QA team" for "council" in the above message.
38 > Thanks.
41 I second this request for the exact same reason.
42
43 Lars