From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why sun-j2sdk && sun-jdk
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:50:43
1 On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
2
3 > Why do we have ebuilds for dev-java/sun-j2sdk and dev-java/sun-jdk? These
4 > both currently point to the same Sun Java VM and SDK, 1.4.0. Has this
5 > created any dependency issues in the portage tree?
6
7 The former builds the Sun JDK from sources (or attempts to, it's not
8 finished). The latter is an ebuild for the binary that Sun distribute.
9
10 According to Sun, the sources they provide are not the same as the ones
11 they package in their binary. They are not up-front specific about the
12 differences, but I'd assume they also some third-party licensed stuff.
13
14 The original goal of the j2sdk was to have a proper VM plugin for mozilla
15 when compiled with gcc-3.2.
16
17 Kind regards,
18