From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] feature request for X ebuild
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:52:15
1 On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 11:31:47PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
2
3 > BTW: what's the policy for creating new USE keywords? There's an awful lot
4 > already, and it seems we might create one for every second package. There are
5 > always package interdependencies. LyX can make use of some 20 packages, but
6 > that's no reason for having a USE keyword for each of them! Maybe we should
7 > have a setting "USE_ALL" that would always build all possible dependencies of
8 > which a package can make use. This could be useful for testing etc.
9
10 USE flags are generally for *optional* build-time functionality. We will have
11 a new USE system in a week or two to help deal with additional complexity:
12
13 USE="X(nvidia,ati) cpu(mmx,sse) db(postgresql,mysql)"
14
15 Additionally, we will support things like this:
16
17 "X(*)" (to enable all X-related extensions)
18
19 Best Regards,
22 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
23 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org