From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 05:26:53
1 Alec Warner posted on Wed, 21 Mar 2018 10:44:48 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 1:36 AM, Eray Aslan <eras@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 10:28:48AM -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
6 >> > While I personally do no agree with mailing list moderation infra has
7 >> > been tasked with moving forward on it.
8 >>
9 >> You can always resign from infra.
12 >> That was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment but not wholly. You cant
13 >> cop out by saying it was an order from council. I understand if you
14 >> dont but do consider it. Fight the good fight.
17 > So when there is conflict its pretty often that you have 3 options.
18 >
19 > 1) Accept 2) Leave 3) Escalate
20
21 Wise words.
22
23 Here the context was/is infra, but they apply to general devs and users
24 who disagree with this as well, thus my own personal interest, altho I'm
25 not so much a "disagree" as a "concerned and sad it has to come to this",
26 as I see both sides.
27
28 [Note: I intend this to be my only post to this thread, unless a reply
29 calls for further reply on my part. It's my position of record on the
30 moderation/whitelisting and may also be my last to the list before it
31 goes moderated. If that's not of interest to you I'd rather you skip the
32 rest of the post and use the time for something you consider more
33 constructive. =:^) ]
34
35 > I'm not sure 3 is possible (the council is already the highest body). I
36 > also think that as a organization this is how we arranged it to be.
37
38 Astute observation.
39
40 > Speaking for myself, this is not the worst issue I've seen in Gentoo and
41 > so I thing doing 2 is probably not very effective. Its also likely I can
42 > only do 2 once (because maybe I would not be welcome'd back or want to
43 > contribute anymore.)
44
45 Also astute.
46
47 I'm ignoring my urge to point to "real world" examples as this list is
48 *definitely* not the place, but in the safer general realm it can simply
49 be observed that there's /always/ a leave/stay-and-accept (if only
50 temporarily/strategically) argument to be made, even in the /worst/ cases
51 (which must here be left to imagination and history) where arguably
52 "leave" is the only morally acceptable alternative.
53
54 Fortunately, I believe most will agree this isn't a "worst" case in that
55 regard, tho it may be bad enough that some find they must leave.
56
57 But for both users and devs there remain the practical questions:
58
59 Where else would I go? Is that alternative actually practically viable?
60 Would I be more effective there than here, hoping to eventually reverse
61 the decision (or for those like me more on the sad-it-came-to-this-but-I-
62 see-why-some-believe-it-has side, hoping a short trial is demonstration
63 enough of capacity and that it lowers the threat to where even those that
64 agree it has to come to that now feel comfortable in reverting it, tho
65 possibly retaining the capacity to reimpliment if necessary)?
66
67 In practice, there are certainly from-source alternatives. However,
68 again practically, gentoo does seem to be the biggest, and most others
69 seem to either be mostly-compatible offshoots such as funtoo and exherbo
70 that to some degree still depend on the larger gentoo tree and community,
71 or to make choices that put them to one side or the other of gentoo's
72 "automated/scripted from-source" approach (arch's core-binary approach on
73 the toward-binaries side, and lfs/linux-from-scratch's much more manual-
74 but-still-guided, approach on the other).
75
76 There's also the very practical "but I already know and am familiar with
77 gentoo and how it works (both technically and socially) and would have to
78 learn the others" factor.
79
80 For both those reasons and I suppose others, gentooers who have been
81 around a few years, at least long enough to develop that familiarity,
82 tend to stay around as long as they remain interested in gentoo's general
83 automated-from-source approach (tho many ultimately lose that interest
84 and go binary-distro or leave the FLOSS community entirely), unless of
85 course forced out as incompatible with continuing community interest, in
86 which case, given little choice, they often land at one of those
87 alternatives.
88
89 > That leaves 1 and one interests me for many reasons.
90 >
91 > a) as noted earlier, decisions are not set in stone. Its possible we
92 > could turn on this whitelisting solution for a brief period and the
93 > decision is overturned at the next council meeting, or perhaps at the
94 > next council election once the existing council is replaced.
95
96 Agreed. I've already mentioned what I believe would be my ideal outcome,
97 above. Try the whitelisting as proposed for awhile, then having
98 demonstrated the capacity/threat, relax things, while maintaining the
99 capacity, such that hopefully the toxic people that created the initial
100 need will not find it worth their while to be toxic here once again, but
101 with the capacity to reinstitute should they do so.
102
103 (Yes, I know that unused tools fall into disrepair over time, but often,
104 repair, or even redo if necessary, is easier the second time around. So
105 hopefully the capacity would remain available or at least easier to
106 implement again, if again needed.)
107
108 (Points B and C omitted as infra specific, because I've nothing to add.)
109
110 > d) Infra as a organization wields a lot of power in Gentoo and I think
111 > its organizationally dangerous to wield that power in this way. [...]
112 > e) In the past, infra *has* wielded its power in a fashion that had
113 > negative impacts on the distribution (e.g. arbitrarily removing commit
114 > rights for developers with no warning, process, or oversight).
115
116 Having lived thru much of that, I 100% agree that it's not something
117 gentoo should ever want to go back to. While individuals are certainly
118 free to resign should they feel the need, having even infra subject to an
119 _elected_ council is a _good_ thing!
122 Meanwhile, I've already stated my position. I'm sad to see it come to
123 this, and hope it to be eventually reversed, but the elected council has
124 spoken, I understand the events that lead to their decision, and remain
125 and abide is my chosen option.
126
127 And as for the effect on my own posts as a non-dev, personally...
128
129 * My posting intent on any list, including this one, is positive
130 contribution. Should I ever believe my posts have ceased to be that,
131 I'll immediately apologize if it was one-off/short-term, or stop posting
132 if I don't believe my posts to be a positive contribution going forward.
133
134 (I've often spent quite some time composing a post, only to ultimately
135 close the window without sending, because on consideration before hitting
136 send, I decided it wasn't unquestionably a positive contribution to the
137 list/discussion in question. Sometimes just writing it for me was what I
138 needed to do. Sometimes I simply thought better of it, period.)
139
140 * I'm acutely mindful of the fact that this _is_ gentoo-*dev*, and that
141 as a user, not a dev, I'm but a guest here.
142
143 (And yes, that sometimes influences my "don't send it after all"
144 decision.)
145
146 * While there are complaints of my verbosity, I've never been /banned/
147 and I'm proud of that.
148
149 * I've had personal offers to whitelist, for which I am grateful.
150
151 (The given reason was that while I'm often too wordy, I often do have a
152 valid point/question, that may not have been brought up by others. I do
153 struggle with the wordiness, believe me, but I'm grateful that at least
154 some devs consider my posts a positive enough contribution to extend the
155 whitelisting offer.)
156
157 * For the time being, I've thanked, but turned down that whitelisting
158 offer. When I'd otherwise post, I'm going to take the opportunity to
159 reconsider the positive contribution of my posts even more, try again to
160 whittle down the wordiness further, and then, if I still consider it
161 worth the effort, I'm going to forward the post to the person I'm
162 replying to or possibly to someone else (like the person who offered the
163 whitelisting), asking them to forward it... but *only* if they too
164 consider it a positive contribution to the current discussion.
165
166 Tho I may eventually request whitelisting, in the mean time I intend to
167 learn what I can from the forward/rejection/rejection-with-feedback on
168 those attempted contributions, to try to make future attempted
169 contributions even better! =:^)
170
171 That's keeping in mind that as a user not a dev, I /do/ consider myself a
172 guest on this list, and arguably, posting to it has /always/ been a
173 privilege, not a right. And given the coming whitelisting, devs, thru
174 their elected council, have clearly expressed their desire to cut down
175 the outside noise from "guests", ensuring that any such "guest posts"
176 allowed thru are signal, not noise, or worse yet, negative signal.
177
178 As one of those guests, abiding by that expressed intent to the best of
179 my ability is my goal, and I intend to take the presented opportunity to
180 try to improve my own attempts at contribution!
185 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman