From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 14:44:57
1 On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 1:36 AM, Eray Aslan <eras@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 10:28:48AM -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
4 > > While I personally do no agree with mailing list moderation infra has
5 > > been tasked with moving forward on it.
6 >
7 > You can always resign from infra.
10 > That was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment but not wholly. You cant
11 > cop out by saying it was an order from council. I understand if you
12 > dont but do consider it. Fight the good fight.
15 So when there is conflict its pretty often that you have 3 options.
16
17 1) Accept
18 2) Leave
19 3) Escalate
20
21 I'm not sure 3 is possible (the council is already the highest body). I
22 also think that as a organization this is how we
23 arranged it to be. Speaking for myself, this is not the worst issue I've
24 seen in Gentoo and so I thing doing 2 is probably
25 not very effective. Its also likely I can only do 2 once (because maybe I
26 would not be welcome'd back or want to contribute anymore.)
27
28 That leaves 1 and one interests me for many reasons.
29
30 a) as noted earlier, decisions are not set in stone. Its possible we could
31 turn on this whitelisting solution for a brief period and the decision is
32 overturned at the next council meeting, or perhaps at the next council
33 election once the existing council is replaced.
34 b) I am never afraid of making mistakes. I too think this is a mistake; but
35 I don't think its a critical mistake for the organization. Maybe I'm wrong
36 though.
37 c) I have a selfish interest to migrate off of mmlmj because I have an
38 intense dislike (of the software) and I think we need a "modernized" list
39 setup. So this effort is a driver to get some infra work done.
40 d) Infra as a organization wields a lot of power in Gentoo and I think its
41 organizationally dangerous to wield that power in this way. For example, if
42 the entire infra team retired rather than implement this solution; or even
43 worse, refused to retire but just didn't implement it. Ultimately
44 Infrastructure is here to meet the needs of the distribution and if we are
45 not doing that then we have failed as an organization.[1]
46 e) In the past, infra *has* wielded its power in a fashion that had
47 negative impacts on the distribution (e.g. arbitrarily removing commit
48 rights for developers with no warning, process, or oversight). I think
49 there is an additional focus in the the Infra team to avoid that sort of
50 activity and "inaction is still action" and I think it results in similar
51 repercussions.
52
53 [1] Which isn't to say that I would accept 'orders' to commit crimes, or
54 other obviously bad things. I'm again asserting that this idea is not
55 fundamentally bad. The community has a 'toxic people problem' and our
56 previous attempts at resolution have not really produced great results.
57 Will this also produce great results? Not sure. But willing to try it.
58
59 -A
62 > --
63 > Eray