From: David Sankel <sankeld@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Some suggestions
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 19:52:09
1 On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:21:20 +0100, Douglas Russell wrote:
2
3 Hello Douglas. Thanks for your informed responses.
4
5 >> etc-update allows you to automatically update (noted) etc files that one
6 >> never changed from their last emerge. This could save a lot of
7 >> maintenance time if it was put in a cron job to routinely do that after
8 >> an "emerge sync;emerge -u world"
9 >> The user then wouldn't have to look at all of the etc files to see
10 >> if they were changed after every "emerge sync; emerge-u world".
11 >
12 > You can't be serious!? If you don't examine those etc-update changes you could
13 > seriously screw up your system.
14
15 I was afraid that it wouldn't be clear what I meant by this. I am not
16 suggesting that all files could be automatically overwritten, only files
17 that were not modified from the default by the user. For example the
18 file:
19
20 /etc/X11/chooser.sh
21
22 was never changed by a given user on a given system. It is the default for
23 the version they have. When a revision to the default is discovered, the
24 system will flag that file as being one that the user hasn't specialized.
25 In etc-update, there could be an option to update all flagged files
26 automatically. Does that make more sense?
27
28 >> Most gentoo users, I believe, modify this file. This specific file changes
29 >> quite often with updates. Since most users only modify the "USE" and
30 >> "CFLAGS" components, having an update that is automatic is plausible. This
31 >> feature is a trade off between the integrity and consistency of the system
32 >> verses end-user maintenance time.
33 >
34 > What about those of use with a load of other stuff in there. I just use the
35 > interactive merge function of etc-update. Takes about 30 seconds to do
36 > make.conf.
37
38 I certainly would not suggest that the flexibility of the current system
39 be undermined by such a feature. There should be an option for users such
40 as yourself to use the system as is.
41
42 >> Most users probably care less about the compilation stages of their update
43 >> in comparison to the percentage of completion. A progress bar in this
44 >> area would be a nice aesthetic and informative addition for most users.
45 >> In order for this to happen, the output of the "emerge -u world" command
46 >> would probably have to be standardized with some flags to mark the
47 >> beginning and end of a compile.
48 >
49 > A progress bar would be difficult as its difficult to estimate how much code
50 > is left to compile and/or how long that is going to take. It would probably
51 > end up just saying 20 our of 24, 21 out of 24 etc. I personally prefer to see
52 > the compilation so when it breaks I can see exactly where it was before it
53 > broke.
54
55 You are absolutely correct. Having something simple like 20/24 (currently
56 working on package XXX) is probably the best such a progress bar could do.
57 If the compilation does break, and that has been very rare in my
58 experience, the program could output the log of that failed compile for
59 inspection. I think this feature, being only an option, would be an
60 enhancement that wouldn't remove any features you are interested in.
61
62 > What places? Not modifying the CFLAGS? What do you suggest they should be left
63 > at. I can assure you, your Athlon XP 2800+ or whatever will comparitivly
64 > crawl with mcpu=i686.
65
66 I suggest they be left at whatever the non-source based distributions
67 leave them at. Perhaps I am misinformed about how much improvement one
68 gets with aggressive optimization flags. Could you point me somewhere in
69 the right direction?
70
71 David J. Sankel
75 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list