From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: camio@×××××.com
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Some suggestions
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:48:57
1 David Sankel wrote:
2 > I was afraid that it wouldn't be clear what I meant by this. I am not
3 > suggesting that all files could be automatically overwritten, only files
4 > that were not modified from the default by the user. For example the
5 > file:
6 >
7 > /etc/X11/chooser.sh
8 >
9 > was never changed by a given user on a given system. It is the default for
10 > the version they have. When a revision to the default is discovered, the
11 > system will flag that file as being one that the user hasn't specialized.
12 > In etc-update, there could be an option to update all flagged files
13 > automatically. Does that make more sense?
14
15 I submit that this is a good idea - if the MD5 hash of a particular file
16 hasn't changed, allow the user the option (I must emphasize _option_) of
17 having etc-update automatically overwrite the file with the changes;
18 with the usual disclaimer about how this could/would/will affect the
19 functionality in a possibly unpredictable mannar and may cause more harm
20 than good, etc.
21
22 I personally find it aggravating when I update a long-overdue system
23 (which can be as little as 2 months with Gentoo's expedient updates) and
24 having to plough through ~250 files with etc-update - atleast half of
25 which I've never touched / couldn't care less about. Granted, there is a
26 "-3 - update all remaining files" option, but that's still tedious.
29 Stewart Honsberger
30 http://www.snerk.org/
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list