From: Eric Noack <eric.noack@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: KDE 'child' packages (separate ebuilds for konqueror kmail etc.)
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 06:19:38
1 > Hello everyone,
2 >
3 > During the last week I've been working on separating the > kde-base/* packages into 'child' packages, a feature requested by some > people. For example, instead of kdenetwork we'd have separate kmail, > knode, kppp etc. ebuilds. The actual eclass framework to do this is > ready.
4 > ...
5
6 As a Gentoo user my humble opinion is that being able to install single parts of things like KDE is much more important than compile-time.
7 Specially huge packages like KDE which takes real long time to compile anyway are things one would probably compile "over-night" if one wants the whole package, so additional 1 or 2 hours wont count. And if one doesnt want to install the whole thing, one would be glad to be able
8 to choose what to install and what not.
9
10 Make it so, and keep up the good work. :-)
11
12 Gentoo Rules
15 Eric