From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Tomas Mozes <hydrapolic@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Anti-spam for goose
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 11:02:55
1 On Thu, 2020-05-21 at 12:45 +0200, Jaco Kroon wrote:
2 > Even for v4, as an attacker ... well, as I'm sitting here right now I've
3 > got direct access to almost a /20 (4096 addresses). I know a number of
4 > people with larger scopes than that. Use bot-nets and the scope goes up
5 > even more.
6
7 See how unfair the world is! You are filling your bathtub with IP
8 addresses, and my ISP has taken mine only recently.
9
10 > > Option 3: explicit CAPTCHA
11 > > ==========================
12 > > A traditional way of dealing with spam -- require every new system
13 > > identifier to be confirmed by solving a CAPTCHA (or a few identifiers
14 > > for one CAPTCHA).
15 > >
16 > > The advantage of this method is that it requires a real human work
17 > > to be
18 > > performed, effectively limiting the ability to submit spam.
19 > >
20 > Yea. One would think. CAPTCHAs are massively intrusive and in my
21 > opinion more effort than they're worth.
22 >
23 > This may be beneficial to *generate* a token. In other words - when
24 > generating a token, that token needs to be registered by way of capthca.
27 > > Other ideas
28 > > ===========
29 > > Do you have any other ideas on how we could resolve this?
30 > >
31 > Generated token + hardware based hash.
32
33 How are you going to verify that the hardware-based hash is real,
34 and not just a random value created to circumvent the protection?
35
36 > Rate limit the combination to 1/day.
37 >
38 > Don't use included results until it's been kept up to date for a minimum
39 > period. Say updated at least 20 times 30 days.
40
41 For privacy reasons, we don't correlate the results. So this is
42 impossible to implement.
43
44 > The downside here is that many machines are not powered up at least once
45 > a day to be able to perform that initial submission sequence. So
46 > perhaps it's a bit stringent.
47
48 Exactly. Even once a week is a bit risky but once a day is too narrow
49 a period.
50
51 To some degree, we could decide we don't care about exact numbers
52 as much as some degree of weighed proportions. This would mean that,
53 say, people who submit daily get the count of 7, at the loss of people
54 who don't run their machines that much. It would effectively put more
55 emphasis on more active users. It's debatable whether this is desirable
56 or not.
59 Both the token and hardware hash can of course be tainted and is under
60 > "attacker control".
61
62 Exactly. So it really looks like exercise for the sake of exercise.
66 Best regards,
67 Michał Górny