From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, Tomas Mozes <hydrapolic@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Anti-spam for goose
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 14:27:44
1 Hi Michał,
2
3 On 2020/05/21 13:02, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > On Thu, 2020-05-21 at 12:45 +0200, Jaco Kroon wrote:
5 >> Even for v4, as an attacker ... well, as I'm sitting here right now I've
6 >> got direct access to almost a /20 (4096 addresses). I know a number of
7 >> people with larger scopes than that. Use bot-nets and the scope goes up
8 >> even more.
9 > See how unfair the world is! You are filling your bathtub with IP
10 > addresses, and my ISP has taken mine only recently.
11 I must admit, I work for an ISP :$
12 >>> Option 3: explicit CAPTCHA
13 >>> ==========================
14 >>> A traditional way of dealing with spam -- require every new system
15 >>> identifier to be confirmed by solving a CAPTCHA (or a few identifiers
16 >>> for one CAPTCHA).
17 >>>
18 >>> The advantage of this method is that it requires a real human work
19 >>> to be
20 >>> performed, effectively limiting the ability to submit spam.
21 >>>
22 >> Yea. One would think. CAPTCHAs are massively intrusive and in my
23 >> opinion more effort than they're worth.
24 >>
25 >> This may be beneficial to *generate* a token. In other words - when
26 >> generating a token, that token needs to be registered by way of capthca.
27 >>
28 >>> Other ideas
29 >>> ===========
30 >>> Do you have any other ideas on how we could resolve this?
31 >>>
32 >> Generated token + hardware based hash.
33 > How are you going to verify that the hardware-based hash is real,
34 > and not just a random value created to circumvent the protection?
35
36 So the generation of the hash is more to validate that it's still on the
37 same installation (ie, not a cloned token).  Sorry if that wasn't clear,
38 so trying to solve two possible problems in one go.
41 >> Rate limit the combination to 1/day.
42 >>
43 >> Don't use included results until it's been kept up to date for a minimum
44 >> period. Say updated at least 20 times 30 days.
45 > For privacy reasons, we don't correlate the results. So this is
46 > impossible to implement.
47
48 Ok, but a token cannot (unless we issue it based on an email based
49 account) be linked back to a specific user, so does it matter if we
50 associate uploads with a token?
51
52 >> The downside here is that many machines are not powered up at least once
53 >> a day to be able to perform that initial submission sequence. So
54 >> perhaps it's a bit stringent.
55 > Exactly. Even once a week is a bit risky but once a day is too narrow
56 > a period.
57 >
58 > To some degree, we could decide we don't care about exact numbers
59 > as much as some degree of weighed proportions. This would mean that,
60 > say, people who submit daily get the count of 7, at the loss of people
61 > who don't run their machines that much. It would effectively put more
62 > emphasis on more active users. It's debatable whether this is desirable
63 > or not.
64 Decaying averages.  Simple to implement, don't need all historic data.
65 >
66 > Both the token and hardware hash can of course be tainted and is under
67 >> "attacker control".
68 > Exactly. So it really looks like exercise for the sake of exercise.
69
70 Unless tokens are *issued* as per the rest of my email you snipped
71 away.  Wherein I proposed an issuing of both anonymous and non-anonymous
72 tokens.
73
74 Kind Regards,
75 Jaco