From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating and killing herds in metadata.xml
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:39:36
1 On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 09:12:13 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > >
7 > > I had just given some reasons above, in the part that you haven't
8 > > quoted.
11 > My main issue was with the "burden of proof" bit. This isn't a court
12 > - we're free to do whatever seems to make the most sense, and not
13 > worry about what kind of precedent it sets, since the next Council can
14 > do whatever makes the most sense at that time. :)
15
16 Is it fine to replace something that has worked for years without proof?
17
18 > I'm all for something that covers the bases but is a bit cleaner in
19 > design. Right now we have different sources for membership lists of
20 > different kinds of groups, and that just seems like poor
21 > normalization.
22
23 Why does it seem poor? How to have a single list for different kinds?
24 Is normalization necessary? Does normalization make it cleaner at all?
25
26 The groups are of a different kind for a reason; normalization, YAGNI.