From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 07:35:47
1 On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 00:20:36 -0700 "Daniel Robbins"
2 <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Nor do I define the direction of PMS. The requirements define its
4 > > direction, and its contributors (the majority of which are Gentoo
5 > > developers) do the writing.
6 >
7 > But you appear to act as the project lead for PMS.
8
9 No, I'm just the one who isn't yet sufficiently jaded by the whole
10 "people who don't know what PMS is jumping in and trying to derail it"
11 thing to have given up discussing it in public yet.
12
13 The amount of time spent defending PMS from people who don't even know
14 what it is and who haven't bothered to ask to read it could instead
15 have been spent writing an entire new chapter.
16
17 > > > Paludis does not have a Gentoo Foundation copyright, does PMS?
18 > >
19 > > Not currently, but then neither does devmanual, so it's hardly
20 > > unique in that respect.
21 >
22 > That also means that the devmanual and PMS are not (currently)
23 > official Gentoo projects.
24
25 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/devmanual.xml
26
27 The devmanual is an official Gentoo project.
28
29 > Any official Gentoo project needs to hold a Gentoo Foundation
30 > copyright and be released under the appropriate license - otherwise
31 > it is not being adequately protected. I would be extremely surprised
32 > if this policy has changed.
33
34 I'd be interested to see where this policy is documented. The licence
35 requirements are in the social contract; what about copyright? As far
36 as I'm aware, copyright requirements are only imposed upon the tree...
37
38 I'm also curious as to why people should be expected to assign
39 copyright to a group that is known for licence violations and removing
40 attribution from documents. How does this protect anything?
43 Ciaran McCreesh
44 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
45 Web : http://ciaranm.org/
46 Paludis, the secure package manager : http://paludis.pioto.org/