From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 15:20:41
On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
> An official release of grub-2.00 should be coming pretty soon. I would > like to keyword this for ~amd64 and ~x86 shortly after it hits the tree. > I don't do much work on base system packages, so I would like some > advice on how to make this as smooth as possible. > > My main concern is that many people probably have sys-boot/grub in > @world. If grub:2 is made visible, portage will install it, and will > remove grub-0.97 on the next depclean. This could be a little confusing, > but should not cause any immediate damage since the copy of grub-0.97 > installed in the MBR and /boot would remain intact. > > Is this worthy of a news item? Or I just blog about it? > > Anything else I need to think about here? > > Note: The Gentoo Documentation Project has indicated that they do not > want to add anything to the handbook until we are somewhat close to > stabilizing grub:2. That's at least a couple months away. >
Mike, Since Grub Legacy and Grub 2 are slotted, Portage won't remove the older version. Even if it removes the older one, everything necessary is installed into /boot and the MBR already. The best route forward would be to instruct people to use grub2-install (but whatever the flag is to prevent MBR installation). Have people generate their grub.cfg with grub2-mkconfig and then put a chain loader into the Grub Legacy configs so that they can test Grub 2 and then once they test it tell them to install Grub 2 into the MBR and remove Grub Legacy. I'll gladly work with you on this. IMHO, it might be a good plan to unmask and ~arch one of the release candidates with an aim to get Grub 2.0.0 fully released with docs. -- Doug Goldstein

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>