From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should mirror restriction imply bindist restriction?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 19:35:06
1 On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 > IUSE="bindist" tends to be for adjusting a particular package so that
3 > it either is generic and CAN be binary-distributable, or will build as
4 > upstream intended (with, for instance, upstream branding) and
5 > therefore is not. Right?
6
7 Correct.
10 > So, in essence, the use flag can allow for an exception of a 'bindist'
11 > LICENSE. Would it make more sense then to have LICENSE= contents
12 > controlled conditionally? ie:
15 I'm not sure if this is really necessary.
16
17 If a user doesn't want to accidentally install something that isn't
18 redistributable they can start with
19 ACCEPT_LICENSE=@BINARY-REDISTRIBUTABLE, which already exists.
20
21 Then they can augment that by manually overriding it for packages
22 where they've decided they're not impacted, or where they're using
23 USE=-bindist.
24
25 There are really only a small number of situations where this will
26 happen. I'm not sure if we need to implement conditional licensing
27 with a pseudo-license on top of that just to cover them. The license
28 itself doesn't actually change when you USE -bindist - you're simply
29 complying with it.
30
31 Rich