From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should mirror restriction imply bindist restriction?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 19:24:33
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 26/04/13 03:07 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
5 > On 04/26/2013 02:44 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
7 >> <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
8 >>> The user is distinguishing right from wrong by setting things
9 >>> like USE=bindist, portage simply doesn't seem to be respecting
10 >>> that in the case of RESTRICT=bindist.
11 >
12 >> I think what is missing is a clear set of definitions.
13 >
14 >> USE=-bindist means build a package that the maintainer thinks
15 >> isn't legal to distribute under some set of circumstances (which
16 >> might or might not be the user's circumstances).
17 >
18 >> RESTRICT=bindist in an ebuild means what? Let's look at the
19 >> devmanual: RESTRICT - A space-delimited list of portage features
20 >> to restrict. Valid values are fetch, mirror, strip, testand
21 >> userpriv. See man 5 ebuild for details. man 5 ebuild: bindist -
22 >> Distribution of built packages is restricted.
23 >
24 >> And how does a user tell portage whether they intend to
25 >> redistribute something in the first place? The fact that an
26 >> ebuild sets RESTRICT=bindist does not have anything to do with
27 >> whether it will in fact be redistributed. It sounds like we
28 >> would need a FEATURES=bindist to go along with it. Oh, and it
29 >> sounds like RESTRICT=bindist often should be conditional based on
30 >> USE=-bindist, but you can't set RESTRICT conditionally, so that
31 >> won't work.
32 >
33 >> Also, isn't all of this somewhat redundant with ACCEPT_LICENSE?
34 >> It is the license that allows you to redistribute something in
35 >> the first place, though with some licenses it might be
36 >> conditional upon how the package is built/branded.
37 >
38 >> The last thing we need on any of this stuff is a hard error.
39 >> What is needed first is for those who care about such things to
40 >> cleanly specify a sane set of definitions and behavior.
41 >
42 > I really appreciate your input here, I think you may be onto
43 > something. Maybe the best thing to do would be to drop
44 > RESTRICT=bindist entirely and just make a new license group for it?
45 > Maybe it would even be possible to automatically
46 > ACCEPT_LICENSE=bindist when USE=-bindist and vice-versa? This
47 > seems a more productive direction than anything I was able to come
48 > up with.
49 >
50 > Thanks! Zero
54 erm.. OK just to back up on things a little bit..:
55
56 IUSE="bindist" tends to be for adjusting a particular package so that
57 it either is generic and CAN be binary-distributable, or will build as
58 upstream intended (with, for instance, upstream branding) and
59 therefore is not. Right?
60
61 So, in essence, the use flag can allow for an exception of a 'bindist'
62 LICENSE. Would it make more sense then to have LICENSE= contents
63 controlled conditionally? ie:
64
65 www-client/firefox:
66 LICENSE="MPL-2.0 GPL-2 LGPL-2.1
67 !bindist? ( MPL-2.0-bindist-restriction )"
68
69 Of course for other packages there is no USE="bindist" functionality
70 as it's not possible to allow any binary redistribution. These
71 probably should just go into the 'bindist' license group.
72
73 I think it would make a lot of sense to NOT let a use flag suddenly
74 adjust ACCEPT_LICENSE. However, it -would- i think make a lot of
75 sense to ebuilds that implement a bindist use flag to adjust the
76 licenses that apply to the emerged result.
77