From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should mirror restriction imply bindist restriction?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 19:04:58
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 04/26/2013 02:44 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
6 > <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
7 >> The user is distinguishing right from wrong by setting things like
8 >> USE=bindist, portage simply doesn't seem to be respecting that in the
9 >> case of RESTRICT=bindist.
10 >
11 > I think what is missing is a clear set of definitions.
12 >
13 > USE=-bindist means build a package that the maintainer thinks isn't
14 > legal to distribute under some set of circumstances (which might or
15 > might not be the user's circumstances).
16 >
17 > RESTRICT=bindist in an ebuild means what? Let's look at the devmanual:
18 > RESTRICT - A space-delimited list of portage features to restrict.
19 > Valid values are fetch, mirror, strip, testand userpriv. See man 5
20 > ebuild for details.
21 > man 5 ebuild:
22 > bindist - Distribution of built packages is restricted.
23 >
24 > And how does a user tell portage whether they intend to redistribute
25 > something in the first place? The fact that an ebuild sets
26 > RESTRICT=bindist does not have anything to do with whether it will in
27 > fact be redistributed. It sounds like we would need a
28 > FEATURES=bindist to go along with it. Oh, and it sounds like
29 > RESTRICT=bindist often should be conditional based on USE=-bindist,
30 > but you can't set RESTRICT conditionally, so that won't work.
31 >
32 > Also, isn't all of this somewhat redundant with ACCEPT_LICENSE? It is
33 > the license that allows you to redistribute something in the first
34 > place, though with some licenses it might be conditional upon how the
35 > package is built/branded.
36 >
37 > The last thing we need on any of this stuff is a hard error. What is
38 > needed first is for those who care about such things to cleanly
39 > specify a sane set of definitions and behavior.
40 >
41 I really appreciate your input here, I think you may be onto something.
42 Maybe the best thing to do would be to drop RESTRICT=bindist entirely
43 and just make a new license group for it? Maybe it would even be
44 possible to automatically ACCEPT_LICENSE=bindist when USE=-bindist and
45 vice-versa? This seems a more productive direction than anything I was
46 able to come up with.
47
48 Thanks!
49 Zero