From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild, ip6tables headaches, kernel confusion, xinetd vs. tcpwrappers
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:06:56
On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 01:57:38AM -0700, Bill Anderson wrote:

> > That's the nifty thing about the portage system--it takes care of > > creating the packing list.
> say, that is nifty.
We think so too :)
> Hmm, excuse my newness to gentoo (not installed until I get the drive > backed up tomorrow or so (I hope)) ... but does this mean that hyphens > are not valid in an ebuild name?
Hyphens are valid, but ebuild has a special "version syntax" so that it can parse the version numbers of a package and compare them. Here are the basic rules: package names can have any number of hyphen-separated words, like so: foo-bar-oni-ville (this is a valid package name) then, to tag the version on it, you add another hyphen and a version string. The version strings have a special format: 4.0.0 valid 4.0.1 valid 4.01.1109235.12350923.329832932.3232983 valid 4.01_alpha valid 4.02_alpha17 valid 7.1.3_beta valid valid (we support the _pre tag in the same way) 4.0a is valid 7.1.3-pre8 is *not* valid (should be 7.1.3_pre8) 4.0aa is *not* valid (we support revisions "a" through "z" -- a single character) 2.4.0-test10 is *not* valid (we don't support "test" just yet, and if we did the correct format would be 2.4.0_test10) OK, so that's the basic intro to the version string. Then, there's an optional package "rev" that defaults to zero if you leave it off. However, if you want to specify a "rev", you add a -r<revnum>. So, a final package/version/rev name could be something like: foo-bar-oni-ville- Amazingly, Portage can parse this and determine if it's newer or older than foo-bar-oni-ville-4.012323420.9393. However, we normally don't get that complicated.
> As compared to a prerelease test kernel? > As someone who has been through many release cylces, I would have to > dosagree, if that is your position. > > Justin > As far as 'ac' those are Alan cox patched kernel. IME, they've been much > better than the standard kernel. Alan Cox is basically the second in > command in Linuxville, eventually the ac patches become merged (usually, > but not always).
The most important thing to us is *ReiserFS filesystem stability*. We wait until we can ensure that ReiserFS works well and doesn't dice up everyone's files. Right now, Achim is testing 2.4.0-ac3 with patches and making sure it's stable. -- Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> President/CEO Gentoo Technologies, Inc.