From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Useflags: qt, qt3, qt4?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:53:52
1 On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 02:39:29 -0400 (EDT)
2 "Michael Sterrett -Mr. Bones.-" <msterret@××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
5 >
6 > > Am I making sense? This looks a lot like the gtk/gtk2 flags, but
7 > > inverted; according to use.desc, gtk builds gtk+-1 unless gtk2 is
8 > > set, whereas the above builds highest version compatible with the
9 > > package unless a lower version is specifically requested through
10 > > USE.
11 >
12 > That's not what use.desc says gtk does. You just illustrated how
13 > confusing the gtk/gtk2 use flag situation has been.
14 >
15 > The gtk use flag doesn't specify a version. It just says that the
16 > package should build against *a* version of gtk+. The gtk2 flag was
17 > a way to prefer the gtk2 interface over the gtk1 interface if a
18 > package supported both.
19
20 ok; so in gtk-land we have gtk2 to prefer the newer interface whereas
21 the proposal for qt/qt3 is to have a specific flag for the older
22 interface. I do prefer the qt/qt3 approach, even though it's
23 inconsistent with what happens on gtk. I don't suppose changing
24 gtk/gtk2 to gtk/gtk1 would be popular...
25
26 > Thankfully, we've mostly moved past the gtk/gtk2 use flag mess now.
27 > Let's try not to make it quite so hard for people with the qt toolkit.
28
29 I think we're all agreed there :) So it's worth thrashing out properly.
32 Kevin F. Quinn