From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: How a proper server profile should look like
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 02:37:08
1 On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:51:54AM -0600, Dustin C. Hatch wrote
2
3 > The package defaults have gotten out of hand, in my opinion. I use
4 > default/linux/amd64/10.0 on all my machines and my
5 > /etc/portage/package.use directories have dozens of -flag entries for
6 > packages with ridiculous defaults, and almost none that come from the
7 > profile. I'm considering removing pkginternal from USE_ORDER.
8
9 Have you heard the old joke about how an elephant is actually a mouse
10 designed by a committee? The same thing applies to distro bloat. Some
11 people want feature A, others want feature B, and others want feature C.
12 The final result is a distro with features A *AND* B *AND* C. I was
13 originally drawn to Gentoo with the "Gentoo Ricer" atitude. But now
14 it's the fine-grained control of USE flags that makes me stay with
15 Gentoo.
16
17 I think we may have to admit that "one size does not fit all". There
18 are just too many individual scenarios. A truly minimal build should be
19 sufficient to boot to a text console, and have networking and portage to
20 be able to build further up the chain.
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
24 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications