From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: How a proper server profile should look like
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 07:29:39
1 On 22 January 2013 10:36, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I think we may have to admit that "one size does not fit all". There
3 > are just too many individual scenarios. A truly minimal build should be
4 > sufficient to boot to a text console, and have networking and portage to
5 > be able to build further up the chain.
6
7 It's not something "we may have to admit". It's been the Gentoo
8 philosophy from the very start. That's why we have useflags and so on.
9 Gentoo is based on choice and customization.
10
11 The guiding idea for the base profile is that it should result in a
12 lean but functional system, with defaults that the majority of users
13 would need.
14
15 Maybe we have erred on the side of inclusiveness in the past, and now
16 is the time to move more towards minimalism, as we have a new set of
17 13.0 profiles being sculpted into shape.
20 Cheers,
21
22 Ben | yngwin
23 Gentoo developer
24 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin