From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o, releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 26 -- Handling kernels with portage
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 03:07:05
1 On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 10:54:26PM -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 19:45 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
3 > > On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 10:04:35PM -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
4 > > > The new glep is here: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0026.html
5 > >
6 > > Hm, did you consult the current kernel developers/maintainers/packagers
7 > > before creating this? At first glance I see a number of issues that
8 > > would make this completely impractical and impossible to implement.
9 > Yes. Actually, a lot of people have talked about it.
10
11 Ok, did johnm sign off on this? As he is the current Gentoo kernel
12 maintainer I would expect you would have run this by him.
13
14 Do you want me to outline my objections to this proposal here, or is
15 there some other place to do it?
16
17 > > Also, have you taken a look at the current genkernel work being done for
18 > > 2.6? It probably resolves lots of the issues it sounds like you
19 > > currently have with the kernel packaging process.
20 >
21 > Yes. This GLEP is basically a reworking of genkernel into portage.
22
23 Yes you have seen the new work? And no, you don't like it? Or yes, you
24 like it and think it can help out? Confused here... :)
25
26 > Please understand it is bad design to have two build systems.
27
28 Ivory towers are over that-a-way. Real world is here :) Come on, the
29 build system for the kernel is just so much more complex than what the
30 current portage system can even begin to support, based on what you are
31 trying to propose.
32
33 Also, please realize that the 2.6 kernel build process is infinitely
34 better than the 2.4 one, and based on it, a number of your listed
35 objections and proposals are pretty moot.
36
37 > Two build systems means one of them has a bug (ie doesn't support
38 > needed types of building).
39
40 Could you perhaps outline your current objections and problems with the
41 current build system, contrast it with the currently being worked on
42 changes to that build system, and maybe we can work from there?
43
44 > > I do find the idea of packaging up a "binary" kernel a bit interesting,
45 > > but who is going to be doing that packaging? And who is going to
46 > > mediate the zillion different "but why don't you select this kernel
47 > > option instead" requests that will be caused by such a package? :)
48 >
49 > Users can do their own packageing, then can also supply their own binary
50 > kernels.
51
52 Do we allow this with the current -bin packages already? I might be
53 mistaken, but I didn't think we did for some reason...
54
55 > This is very much desireable for enterprise users (think clusters
56 > especially) and for Gentoo Installer. We will not be accepting
57 > those kind of feature bugs as the user can always re-emerge the kernel
58 > with their own options. (its the same exact thing as "why didn't you
59 > build such and such GRP package with such and such flag", we just ignore
60 > those unless it is a major issue.)
61
62 I see you don't realize the enormous headache and impossibility of
63 trying to use USE flags to enable or disable different kernel patches.
64 Trust me, as someone who used to get paid to package a kernel up for a
65 distro for a number of years, and as someone who builds more kernels
66 every day than most people do all year long, it will not work.
67
68 But hey, feel free to prove me wrong, I'm eagerly awaiting your
69 reference implementation. Any ETA on it? :)
70
71 thanks,
72
73 greg k-h