From: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o, releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] GLEP 26 -- Handling kernels with portage
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 02:56:11
1 On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 19:45 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 10:04:35PM -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
3 > > The new glep is here: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0026.html
4 >
5 > Hm, did you consult the current kernel developers/maintainers/packagers
6 > before creating this? At first glance I see a number of issues that
7 > would make this completely impractical and impossible to implement.
8 Yes. Actually, a lot of people have talked about it.
9
10 > Also, have you taken a look at the current genkernel work being done for
11 > 2.6? It probably resolves lots of the issues it sounds like you
12 > currently have with the kernel packaging process.
13
14 Yes. This GLEP is basically a reworking of genkernel into portage.
15 Please understand it is bad design to have two build systems. Two build
16 systems means one of them has a bug (ie doesn't support needed types of
17 building).
18
19 > I do find the idea of packaging up a "binary" kernel a bit interesting,
20 > but who is going to be doing that packaging? And who is going to
21 > mediate the zillion different "but why don't you select this kernel
22 > option instead" requests that will be caused by such a package? :)
23
24 Users can do their own packageing, then can also supply their own binary
25 kernels. This is very much desireable for enterprise users (think
26 clusters especially) and for Gentoo Installer. We will not be accepting
27 those kind of feature bugs as the user can always re-emerge the kernel
28 with their own options. (its the same exact thing as "why didn't you
29 build such and such GRP package with such and such flag", we just ignore
30 those unless it is a major issue.)
31
32 Nathaniel
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list