From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o, releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] GLEP 26 -- Handling kernels with portage
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 02:46:08
1 On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 10:04:35PM -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
2 > The new glep is here: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0026.html
3
4 Hm, did you consult the current kernel developers/maintainers/packagers
5 before creating this? At first glance I see a number of issues that
6 would make this completely impractical and impossible to implement.
7
8 Also, have you taken a look at the current genkernel work being done for
9 2.6? It probably resolves lots of the issues it sounds like you
10 currently have with the kernel packaging process.
11
12 I do find the idea of packaging up a "binary" kernel a bit interesting,
13 but who is going to be doing that packaging? And who is going to
14 mediate the zillion different "but why don't you select this kernel
15 option instead" requests that will be caused by such a package? :)
16
17 thanks,
18
19 greg k-h