From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should we allow picture files in the Portage tree?
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:25:23
1 On 02/13/2014 10:12 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > When rewriting the script scanning for binary files in the Portage
3 > tree [1], I noticed that there are some 25 XPM and SVG image files,
4 > with sizes up to 13 kB.
5 >
6 > For the time being, I've added exceptions for MIME types image/svg+xml
7 > and image/x-xpmi [2], but I think it would be better to clarify our
8 > policy on this. The devmanual currently says:
9 >
10 > | Things that do not belong in the tree:
11 > | * Large patches
12 > | * Non-text files
13 > | * Photos of teletubbies
14 > | * Files whose name starts with a dot
15 >
16 > Should we allow pictures if the image file format is a text file?
17
18 Yes, provided it fits all the other criteria, ie small and does not
19 contain teletubbies. The problem as I understand it, is with version
20 control systems work with text files only, irrespect of what those text
21 files encode.
24 > Ulrich
25 >
26 > [1] http://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/find-binary-files.txt
27 > [2] http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/qa-scripts.git;a=blob;f=find-binary-files.sh;hb=HEAD
31 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
32 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
33 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
34 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
35 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA