From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] State of Developement
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:45:57
1 Hi guys.
2
3 I'll answer this message, as I think this will cover some questions by Evan as
4 well.
5
6 > > Well, you get the idea. Unfortunately this
7 > > is our imperfect word where everything tends to break and
8 > ack. nevertheless i'd like to add that gentoo is particularly and
9 > 1) gentoo uses performance optimizations by default (which
10 > 2) gentoo users usually further tweak their systems (aggressive
11 > 3) while better performance is desirable one must be aware (i
12 > think most gentooers are) that things tend to be less stable,
13 > less predictable the more aggressive and uncommon the
14 > performance optimizations are.
15 Well, this is what freedom is about. We cannot do much about this short of
16 locking users to certain precompiled binaries, as debian does. You should
17 think of gentoo more in terms of a meta-distribution with the ability to set
18 or screw things next to only Linux From Scratch. Some breakage by the more
19 advantrous types is inevitable, while on the other hand I saw reports by
20 people running gentoo on servers without any problems (and of course they do
21 not run the daily cron job of "emerge rsync &&emerge -u world" :) ).
22
23 > gentoo also uses the latest app releases which are less
24 > thouroughly tested by nature and consequences not entirely clear
25 > from the beginning (introduction of non-backwards-compatible
26 > changes, e.g. libvorbis).
27 Good point. Eventually this will be remedied by the stable profile which will
28 lock packages to the approved stable versions for the most part. Please do
29 not confuse with branches: there is no point in branching gentoo. It is far
30 better to have a big general database and subset it (via profiles or KEYWORDS
31 of what we have at present) on order to get the system tailored for the
32 certain task.
33 However bear in mind, that gentoo is a young distribution (guess why we are
34 1.4 now and not say 7.5?). We are in early stages of implementing all these
35 features.
38 > the same goes for greater flexibility which is fine but makes
39 > *any* testing approach pretty tough to unmanageable (see
40 > combinatorics ;). in real world, there will always be a
41 > trade-off between performance optimizations, flexibility and
42 > stability.
43 This is why we really depend on you - our users. We perform significant amount
44 of testing before new packages or versions are incorporated into the tree
45 (and this is a part of the reason new submissions take long time to be
46 processed). However it is not possible to cover all possible combinations of
47 architectures, package and compiler versions and combinations. More important
48 packages get tested more, less important..., well, this is what this
49 multistability user-driven ebuild processing concept is about: to let
50 interested users help us and themselves simultaneously.
53 > > 3.Feedback system that collects user voices and moves ebuilds
54 > > to corresponding categories increasing or decreasing their
55 > > stability rating.
56 > ack. the barrier for giving feedback should be as low as possible
57 > and feedback should be given instantly. i.e. emerge should give
58 > the user an option to send a standardized bug-report by more or
59 > less just hitting enter when an ebuild fails (i think this has
60 > been discussed several times on this list already).
61 If you have some tight concept or a good idea, please contribute it. Answering
62 to this thread or posting a comment to that bug I mentioned (and there are
63 some more) are the ways to get your word to developers.
64 (This is a general remark, I see you do just that below. Thanks for that!)
65
66 > rule: you can always trash submitted, bad (useless) bug-reports
67 > but you can't get bug-reports that were not submitted.
68 > standardizing bug-reports should also help in improving their
69 > quality.
70 True. Also it should be kept in mind that the feedback system should be
71 largely automatic and well balanced (so that popularity of the package does
72 not influence its stability ratings too much for example).
75 > disclaimer: i do not know how gentoo-core is really organized (i
76 > do not think anybody outside of gentoo-core does). i think some
77 > more information about gentoo's internal organization, tasks,
78 > release schedules and targets for non-gentoo-core people would
79 > be very much appreciated and would enhance confidence,
80 > predictability and thus the coordination of own activities.
81 > gentoo-core still looks like some kind of a blackbox to me as
82 > what regards these points. is this really intended?
83 Good point.
84 The intent is to have some place for "wild" discussions, which might
85 potentially and unnecessarily upset users: "gentoo devs want to do this evil
86 thing!" while it was merely a trial suggestion that was shot down quickly
87 afterwards. Core devs are encouraged to take questions that require user
88 feedback or general discussion to the gentoo-dev.
91 > > Please take a look at bug#1523 for much more details (though
92 > > bear in mind that some of that stuff is outdated by now).
93 >
94 > i've only skimed your proposal but it looks fine to me. is there
95 > any reason why gentoo-core has not approved it yet?
96 Well, its not that it has not been approved, its more the issue of difference
97 between accepting some idea and implementing it :).
98 It does take quite some work and time to do things, especially that touch the
99 core of the system and require updates to majority or all the ebuilds. We
100 just recently had a large session of KEYWORD additions. This required all
101 developers to retest and modify their ebuilds (or all the ebuilds they
102 oversee). This is not over yet, but nearing completion, thus taking care of
103 the larger part of step 1 (as in my previous message). Other parts of that
104 proposal will have to be settled and implemented as well. Particularly a good
105 discussion on the feedback/voting system may help to settle at least the
106 design.
107
108 And thanks for the thoughts!
109