From: Fuper <futurist@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] 1.4beta compliment, complaint, question, suggestion
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:35:32
1 I picked up a Fujitsu 9G 10,000 rpm SCSI drive for $75, downloaded the
2 Gentoo .1.4beta portage and stage1 tarballs, and did a test making a
3 clean install of the (hidden) beta version of Aug 22nd.
4
5 [Dual P3 800 MHz, 512 MB ECC SDRAM, three Ultra2 SCSI drives and jaz
6 drive, two IDE drives and cd-rw/dvd, mixed reiser, ext3 and ext2 ---
7 /boot with grub is a separate ext2 partition the way God intended and
8 now serves to boot either the old Gentoo-1.2 or the new Gentoo-1.4b]
11 Compliment:
12
13 The install went onto a couple of new reiser partitions smoothly. The
14 bootstrap.sh completed (after I realized that 512MB of /var space is not
15 nearly enough for a Gentoo bootstrap); the system emerge completed, and
16 the 2.4.19 vanilla-kernel compiled without a hitch and rebooted my
17 system.
18
19 Thanks developers! Now I have a gcc-3.2 compiled system and it is very
20 fast (especially on that 10000 rpm Fujitsu drive).
23 Complaint:
24
25 The cleanly emerged cups-1.1.15 did not work. This is with a
26 _postscript_ printer, an HP 5MP. Any print job is canceled immediately
27 by the print subsystem. I was disgusted because this is the third time
28 I have tried to run Gentoo cups-1.1.15. I thought that surely it would
29 be ok on a fresh install. It's not ok. :-p
30
31 I had to fall back to cups-1.1.14-r4, which worked flawlessly.
34 Question:
35
36 I installed Sylpheed and started it up to configure my mail but it
37 immediately aborted with the message
38 Bind: permission denied
39 What permission? My network is setup ok and I can get onto Internet
40 through my firewall with Mozilla; I don't see any problem with
41 tcp-wrappers and such. This error occurs before Sylpheed even takes note
42 that there's no ~/.sylpheed directory and asks for configuration
43 information.
44
45 What can cause this "Bind" problem? I'd appreciate help from a more
46 clueful person because I'm feeling lost about that error message and
47 don't know how to get past it. Of course, now I'm booting from my old
48 partitions with Gentoo 1.2 because my Gentoo 1.4b doesn't do mail :-<
51 Suggestions:
52
53 - Put a statement in the install docs that /var/tmp requires a gigabyte
54 of space. I think that the doc now says mildly that it will use several
55 hundred megabytes. Most users will assume that 512 MB qualifies as
56 "several hundred megabytes", but it wasn't enough for me. Say "almost a
57 gigabyte".
58
59 - Mask out cups-1.1.15 until it is fixed.
63 Thanks if you can help with my mail problem...