From: Samuel Bernardo <samuelbernardo.mail@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild life cycle review
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 20:42:14
1 Hi,
2
3 Thank you very much for your experience and information sharing. I
4 learnt very much with your answers.
5
6 ---
7
8 The goal of my suggestions was related to ebuilds that become unattended
9 more than one year or being left behind even further. Anyway the right
10 timescale depends on each project and so each team could define the
11 right limit. This kind of policies would allow to take care of forgotten
12 or neglected ebuilds in portage.
13
14 But this policy implementation only deserves attention when updating new
15 profile releases. The policy action could just place a portage warning
16 with hard mask of those packages that will be removed in next profile
17 release. Because I like very much the idea of not loosing ebuilds (we
18 wants it!... we needs it must!... my precious), I suggested that in this
19 case could be relevant to have another profile stage such as ceased or
20 unattended.
21
22 So with this kind of action would allow to reduce work, keeping the
23 focus of maintenance where it is most needed.
24
25 ---
26
27 I have to leave a very big thanks to all dedication and time that all
28 Gentoo developers, maintainers, teams, ... spent with this noble cause.
29
30 Cheers
31