From: Andrej Kacian <ticho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Xmms needs to die.
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:40:29
1 On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:42:27 +0200
2 Robert Cernansky <hslists2@××××××.sk> wrote:
3
4 > Thank You for the tip. I looked at mpd also (only on web page). It
5 > have probably good posibility to control it via command line. But what
6 > about xosd support? (Which I mention in my previous post.) I do not
7 > see any info on page about it.
8
9 mpd (and xmms2) is just a server that is responsible for music playback,
10 functionality such as xosd notification can be provided by clients, one
11 such example is here[1]. Perhaps there are more.
12
13 > What bothers me also, is that it has not plugin design like
14 > xmms. Support for plugins is very good because lot of people can write
15 > plugins for lot of things. This is why people do not want to switch
16 > from xmms because thanks to plugins it have so many features that
17 > currently no player is able to overcome it.
18
19 That is true, but if you split the media player functionality between
20 server and client, server doesn't need many plugins - it only needs to
21 support as many media types as possible.
22
23 Many xmms plugins I saw are frontend-related. This can be handled by
24 MPD clients. One of main clients, gmpc, recently added plugin support,
25 and already plugins for album covers or song lyrics are available.
26
27 > Also I read that it is not possible to play file without addind it to
28 > mpd's database.(?) It seems to be clumsy.
29
30 This is mainly because mpd is designed to run remotely, i.e. not on
31 your desktop - clients connect via TCP, so they have no idea about the
32 filesystem on box where mpd runs.
33
34 There are plans to allow this exact functionality via URIs in
35 format: "file://".
36
37 > Can it play streams from internet? Maybe I should install it and look
38 > at it more closely.
39
40 Yes, and what's more, the development version (release candidates too)
41 is also able to act as an icecast source, thus mpd+icecast2 can act as
42 a streaming server. I'm usually listening to music streamed from my
43 home box via an openvpn tunnel at work. :)
44
45 Also, mpd has gapless output by default, iirc.
46
47 1. http://www.musicpd.org/forum/index.php?topic=1189
50 Andrej
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list