From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o, peter@×××××.se
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: fsmove to profiles/updates
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 15:03:33
1 On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 10:48:01 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I think any kind of large-scale directory moves are going to be risky
5 > on a distro like Gentoo. We should probably give them careful thought
6 > before implementing them. This isn't something like Ubuntu where you
7 > practically wipe and re-install all of /usr a few times a year from
8 > what amounts to a bunch of tarballs.
9
10 Yes, they are risky and complex. And many things which possibly could
11 help us, simply don't work on Gentoo. Sometimes because of PMS
12 stupidity, sometimes because we feel like ugly hacks done by users
13 should simply work.
14
15 We already give a lot of thought and care to handle the moves but we
16 still miss some essential tool which could help us handle them better.
17 Most importantly, which would allow us to avoid forcing users to have
18 half-moved system.
21 Best regards,
22 Michał Górny