From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: peter@×××××.se
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: fsmove to profiles/updates
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 14:49:17
1 On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't think that's possible. Much like with other kinds of updates,
4 > the packages in the tree would be updated to install in the new
5 > location anyway.
8 If I were faced with doing this manually I know the first thing I'd do
9 is run quickpkg on the affected packages. Maybe something could be
10 done with that (though quickpkg is not part of @system).
11
12 However, in general big moves like this are never going to be easy to
13 recover from. If you have sed scripts cleaning up config files or
14 whatever who knows what the previous values were.
15
16 I think any kind of large-scale directory moves are going to be risky
17 on a distro like Gentoo. We should probably give them careful thought
18 before implementing them. This isn't something like Ubuntu where you
19 practically wipe and re-install all of /usr a few times a year from
20 what amounts to a bunch of tarballs.
21
22 Rich