From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On banning merge commits
Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 11:57:27
1 On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 7:25 AM, Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > * However... as the past months have shown, when using merges it is much
4 > easier to accidentally mess up the entire tree than using rebases alone.
7 How does a merge make it any easier/harder to mess up the entire tree?
8 I can see how they can make the history easier/harder to read but in
9 the end I believe the content of the tree itself ends up being
10 whatever was in the index when you made the commit.
13 > * The only alternative would be to come up with criteria for merges and
14 > actually enforce them (meaning, if you mess up the tree more than twice you
15 > lose your push access. Hello QA.).
18 Here is the other only alternative: use rebase commits when they're
19 most appropriate, and use merge commits when they're most appropriate,
20 and publish easy-to-understand guidelines for when each is the case.
21 I don't really see a need for hard rules unless we think devs can
22 actually comply with them. Do we really want somebody to lose their
23 commit access because they pushed a string of rebased commits that
24 might have been more appropriate as a single merge commit?
25
26 Both types of commits have their place. I think that bans are better
27 used for bad attitude than for mistakes. I don't think you need a
28 100% rigid rule to enforce a ban either - this isn't a court of law
29 (and I think many of the failings of courts of law result from the
30 rigid application of rules, but that is a different matter).
33 Rich