From: "Andreas K. Hüttel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On banning merge commits
Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 11:38:57
1 Am Sonntag, 8. Mai 2016, 01:52:22 schrieb Patrice Clement:
2 >
3 > What is the correct course of action? I would very much like it to be
4 > worded in a document (GLEP and/or Wiki page) so that confusion is avoided
5 > and we all are on the same page on this topic.
8 OK here's my 2ct:
9
10 * I'm not opposed to merge commits in principle, and see a few cases where
11 they have advantages.
12
13 * Git has the provisions for nonlinear history, and just not liking spaghetti
14 is no sufficient reason to castrate the entire version control system.
15
16 * However... as the past months have shown, when using merges it is much
17 easier to accidentally mess up the entire tree than using rebases alone.
18
19 * So, in an ideal world we would use merges wisely and sparingly.
20
21 * In the real world, we risk less and also lose less if we ban and technically
22 prevent them.
23
24 * The only alternative would be to come up with criteria for merges and
25 actually enforce them (meaning, if you mess up the tree more than twice you
26 lose your push access. Hello QA.).
29 Andreas K. Hüttel
30 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)
31 dilfridge@g.o
32 http://www.akhuettel.de/