From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On banning merge commits
Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 12:09:15
1 On 5/8/16 7:25 AM, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
2 > Am Sonntag, 8. Mai 2016, 01:52:22 schrieb Patrice Clement:
3 >>
4 >> What is the correct course of action? I would very much like it to be
5 >> worded in a document (GLEP and/or Wiki page) so that confusion is avoided
6 >> and we all are on the same page on this topic.
9 > * However... as the past months have shown, when using merges it is much
10 > easier to accidentally mess up the entire tree than using rebases alone.
11 >
12 > * So, in an ideal world we would use merges wisely and sparingly.
13
14 Correct. I don't support outright banning merge commits, but they
15 should be reviewed carefully, like we do with other big commits to the
16 tree. So maybe proceed as follows:
17
18 1. announce to gentoo-dev@ the intention to start a branch intending to
19 merge
20
21 2. hack hack hack
22
23 3. test the merge for any conflicts etc,
24
25 4. announce to the list a date/time to merge
26
27 5. if okay, ermge
30 > * In the real world, we risk less and also lose less if we ban and technically
31 > prevent them.
32 >
33 > * The only alternative would be to come up with criteria for merges and
34 > actually enforce them (meaning, if you mess up the tree more than twice you
35 > lose your push access. Hello QA.).
40 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
41 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
42 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
43 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
44 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA